It is a type of testing which validates APIs. Checks functionality, reliability, performance, and security of programming interfaces. Mainly concentrates on the business logic layer of the software architecture.
– Early testing
– Easier Test Maintenance
– Faster Test Execution
– Greater coverage
Common API Test Cases:
1. Status: the correct response code was returned
2. Performance: the response was returned within a certain time
3. Syntax: the content type of the returned content was as expected
4. Error handling: the server rejects incorrect input
5. Error detection: negative testing to identify exceptions and race conditions
6. Schema: the response payload conforms to an expected structure or format
7. Functional: the server returns a predictable value based on the input condition
8. Security checks: SQL injections do not result in data leakage
Different API Testing Tools:
Postman: Postman is a scalable API testing tool that quickly integrates into CI/CD pipeline and makes it easy to create, share, test and document APIs
Soap UI: It is a leading Functional Testing tool for SOAP and REST testing. SoapUI allows you to easily and rapidly create and execute automated functional, regression, and load tests.
Katalon Studio: It is a comprehensive codeless test automation tool. Katalon Studio supports API, web, desktop, and mobile application testing.
Tricentis Tosca: It simplifies the transition from UI testing to API testing—allowing any tester to rapidly create API tests from an intuitive business-readable interface.
RestAssured: It is a Java-based library that is used to test RESTful Web Services. This library behaves like a headless Client to access REST web services.
POSTMAN vs. SOAP UI vs. Katalon