Most of the organizations do not allow their systems to download artifacts from remote repository due to security concerns and create their own internal repositories. Repository Manager is used to manage these internal repositories.
A repository manager is a dedicated server application designed to manage repositories of binary components. It also act as dedicated proxy server for public Maven repositories and provide repositories as a deployment destination for Maven project outputs.
It provides the following benefits:
– significantly reduced number of downloads off remote repositories, saving time and bandwidth resulting in increased build performance
– improved build stability due to reduced reliance on external repositories
– potential for control of consumed and provided artifacts
– provides an effective platform for exchanging binary artifacts within your organization and beyond without the need for building artifact from source
Some of the popular open source repository managers are:
– Apache Archiva
– Sonatype Nexus OSS
– JFrog Artifactory Open Source